Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Keeping Up With A Series


Any of you writers out there ever write a series?

I will admit. I am a series addict. I prefer to read them, I prefer to write them. I just don't like saying goodbye to my characters. I like to see them again on the outskirts of other books. I like story-lines to continue.

So clearly I have several that I'm writing.

The first is the Westervelt Wolves. Here is a picture of Her Wolf, it is the first book in the series and published by Liquid Silver Books.

Her Wolf, while it was the first book I sold was not the first book I wrote. The first one I wrote was a book called Love Beyond Time, which is the first book in a series about the Outsiders published by Eirelander Publishing.
When I sat down to write Love Beyond Time, I always knew that it would be a series. The problem? It didn't sell until it had been reworked and even then I held it on my hard drive for a very long time without trying to sell it. This proved to be a problem when I needed to write Love Beyond Sanity, the second book in the series. It had been nearly a year since I'd lived in that world. It took forever to write. I cried, I had a hard time, and ultimately I LOVED the book when it was finished. It is being published August 6th, 2010 with Eirelander Publishing.

When the time came to work on the next installment, which is my current Work In Progress (see Right hand bar on this blog for an updated list of what I'm working on at all times...), it was so much easier. It had only been a few months since I'd last spent time with the Outsiders.

I also have other series I'm working on but I can't talk about them right now except to say one is about Superheroes (Screw Superman is coming August 2nd, 2010 with Noble Romance Publishing) and one is about something else entirely which I'm not yet ready to talk about because I haven't tried to sell it anywhere yet.


But, I love revisiting worlds. Love it. And I hope you love joining me there.

Any writers have any stories they want to share with me about coming back to the worlds they invented in previous books?

RR

4 comments:

  1. I usually do single books. But I have the first book of a three possibly four series under consideration. While there is a little character over it's more of a concept sort of like Nina Bangs series - not the same idea at all but the format.

    As a whole I do like series but they need to be three to four books. There have been several series that I LOVED the beginning but now I'm tired of them. I think it would hard to do a 15 book series and have the characters continue to grow. Which is why I usually burn out --- the characters tend to get flat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lycnee, I've heard that before. People grow tired of a series. I, by contrast, can't get enough. LOL! Christine Feehan's Carpathian's are my favorite! And I'm not even sure what number they're up to. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. But her series doesn't have the same main characters so they grow for that book...previous main drop in. I'm talking about series where the h/h stay the same those I find the characters flatten out after awhile

    ReplyDelete
  4. In that case, I completely agree with you. I don't read books where the heroine carries over or the hero. I have to admit, I like HEA and you don't get that in ongoing series.

    I completely agree Lyncee!

    ReplyDelete