Search This Blog

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Author Friends

“Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."”
C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves    

When I first started out in this business I was warned that publishing was rough and that I shouldn't expect to make friends in it. I believed this to be true and, consequently, those were, for the most part--with some very distinct exceptions--exactly what I got. Even people who should have been on my side or rooting for me didn't particularly wish me well.

After one very public feud exploded, I moved on thinking I would have to protect myself endlessly from the writers around me.  But that isn't what happened. Instead, and I've been dwelling on this a lot lately, I ended up making some very close friends. 

A group of women who cared about exactly what I cared about, who spent their days doing exactly what I did and who cared what happened to my career. 

My suggestion to anyone thinking of going into publishing would be this: surround yourself with positive friends in the business who will tell you the truth. You'll be happy every day if you do.

Thank you to my friends. I couldn't do a minute of it without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment