Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

Eh

I'm a red-head. A real life, pale skinned, freckled red-head. The sun, as much as I love it, does not love me. I can't spend five minutes outside in really hot son even wearing the highest level of sunblock without burning instantly. I love the beach as long as it has a TON of shade. I spend most of my time running for the shade when I am outside in the sun.

That being said, I also don't do all that well in winter. I hate the cold and if I don't wear sunblock I burn on the top of ski mountains.

Out of the two, I actually prefer the sun because there is, at least, the possibility of finding the shade and running for it or finding the perfect shade and sitting still in it. Long walks on the beach? Not til five pm at least.

But it is Memorial Day weekend in the United States and everyone around here will be outside in the sun tanning their pasty white bodies until they've gained a healthful glow. Not me. I'll be inside.

We are not going away this long weekend. So I feel sort of 'eh' about the whole thing because while I know I would spend the whole time running for the shade and come back home as pale as I was when I left--or maybe worse, red--I would prefer that to the alternative, not doing it.

Hope you guys have a great weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm the same, minus the red hair (you lucky duck!) I've got weird golden brown coloured.
    I live in the sunniest country in the world, where we have beautiful beaches. bushland, perfect places to hike and it's hot more often than it's cold. I LOVE heat, but thanks to bad genes have skin that burns and freckles.
    I must admit, I do like being pale, I would look weird with a tan.
    Have a break at home and enjoy a long weekend in comfort :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a red-head, but I burn. I don't tan. And because I have tons of freckles I try to avoid getting burnt. I also get sun-stroke very easily. Must wear hat!

    I totally understand and have taught my kids that they need a hat and sunscreen to play outside. Have a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete