Search This Blog

Friday, May 6, 2011

What's in a name?


I saw on Yahoo this morning that they've listed the top 10 boys and girls names for 2010. You can read the top fifty here if you are interested. I've listed the top ten below.

Top 10 Names for Boys

1. Jacob
2. Ethan
3. Michael
4. Jayden
5. William
6. Alexander
7. Noah
8. Daniel
9. Aiden
10. Anthony


Top 10 Names for Girls

1. Isabella
2. Sophia
3. Emma
4. Olivia
5. Ava
6. Emily
7. Abigail
8. Madison
9. Chloe
10. Mia

When it comes to naming characters, I see the same names over and over again in Romance Novels. For example? Chase. If Romance was to be believed every navy seal, police officer, alpha of a werewolf pack, spy, and cowboy is named Chase. And yet in real life, I don't actually know anyone named Chase. Do you?

In my 1NS book One Night With A Wolf (releasing June 3rd), I named my hero Joe. I know people named Joe. Several, actually, and someone commented to me that Joe was not a Romance Hero name. Now, Joe worked for me and for that character. But what do you think? Should Romance heroes be all Chase? And Romance Heroines all Imogens? Or can Joe and Nancy work too?

1 comment: